Care and empathy define womanhood. Nurturing for their closed ones without thinking about themselves often puts their health at risk. However, such ignorance should not be encouraged at all.
Women are easily susceptible to certain diseases, more than men. Regular medical check-ups therefore are a necessity. Moreover, with the advent of women health insurance policies, they can easily take care of themselves without any financial worry.
Health insurance plans can serve as the safety net for a woman’s health. They tend to extend advantage at the time of medical emergencies or in case of a critical illness.
Till recently, health insurance was not a significant concern for the Indian population. But with a drastic rise in the expenses to comprehensive healthcare services, a health insurance policy has turned out to be a popular option for financial security. There has been an increase in concern towards women’s health, and this has a close relationship with the growing interest in health insurance for women.
Principal components of health insurance coverage for women
- Women health insurance policies are generally designed with a focus on the different illnesses specific to women. This is the reason why health insurance policy for women always bear a unique cover for critical illnesses such as breast cancer, vaginal cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, fallopian tube cancer, uterine/endometrial cancer, burns, and paralysis/multi-trauma.
- Women health insurance schemes include both standalone and family plans. Becoming a mother is one of the most joyous moments for any woman, and there are specific plans like maternity health insurance or pregnancy complications cover to safeguard the wellbeing of the mother-to-be.
- Now, a woman has multiple options, when it comes to choosing a maternity health insurance plan. Previously, such insurance schemes were a part of the corporate insurance plan. But currently, the retail health insurance policies also come with maternity health insurance.
Things to keep in mind while taking a health insurance plan
- Make sure you are aware of the waiting period towards specific ailments like kidney/gall bladder stone, hernia, cataract, and so on. For women-only health insurance plans, chronic diseases worth consideration should include fibroids, cysts, etc. along with procedures such as hysterectomy, cystectomy, and so on.
- Check whether the health insurance plan covers only the surgical procedures or extends to check-ups and outpatient bills as well.
- If there are any value-added services covered by the health insurance policy.
- Ensure if the insurance scheme comprises of maternity cover. Also check the waiting period for the coverage.
- Such insurance plans often additionally include the baby’s health right from birth under coverage. The financial assistance provided is often as an extension of the maternity cover.
You can further check whether the insurance scheme provides coverage of –
- Birth control or sterilisation processes.
- Medical termination of a pregnancy.
- Infertility treatments.
- Stem cell banking and related procedures.
- Diagnostic tests like hysteroscopy, diagnostic laparoscopy and a few others.
The above discussion well explains why women health insurance is an essential consideration for every woman. It also directs a woman to evaluate the two most critical aspects more closely, and they include the maternity benefit part on one hand and coverage of the chronic women related illnesses on the other.
You can also opt for health insurance plans such as an individual health insurance policy from Bajaj Finserv for an all-inclusive health cover. Be cautious about checking the different options, like, if there is an option for yearly premium, availability of waiver plans, specific age limit to avail the plan, the option of availing cashless hospitalisation facilities, and so on. This will help you to ensure whether the plan is benefitting you in more ways than just a handful of advantages.