There are many people who are found to suffer from various types of nerve related issues and are required to visit the best neurosurgeon in india. Such patients and their families do have many questions in their minds like what is neurology, what are its specialized branches, what are the modern surgical procedures used and recommended and the like. Gaining useful and valuable knowledge on the same does help the patients to enjoy deriving the very best treatment and to ensure recovering from the ailment that they suffer from. Nerve problems can be really troublesome and may occur in people of all ages. This might occur naturally or due to some accidents. Whatever be the issue, it is important to consult the physician much in advance, so as to avoid pain and problems that may otherwise arise from the condition, which may only worsen with time.
What is Neurology?
Neurology can be stated to be a medical specialty associated with surgical treatment, diagnosis and rehab of the disorder that might affect the human nervous system. It includes the spinal cord, peripheral nervous system, brain and the extra cranial cerebro-vascular system. It also deals in treating congenital conditions, degenerative, infections or trauma related conditions.
- Infection cases – Meningitis
- Congenital conditions – Hydrocephaus
- Degenerative diseases – Parkinson’s disease
- Trauma – Spinal or head trauma causing internal bleeding
It is into numerous specialized branches and categories that neurosurgery has been divided into.
- Endovascular and vascular neurosurgery: Such surgical type is associated with treatment and diagnosis of carotid stenosis aneurysms, spinal malformations, vasospasms and strokes. At times, these conditions may require surgical treatments involving minimal invasive procedures like embolization or angioplasty.
- General neurosurgery: It mostly includes conditions associated with neurological related emergencies or trauma. Intracranial haemorrhage is one such example.
- Spinal surgery: It includes treating disorders that affect the lumbar, thoracic and cervical spines. Common conditions noticed are arthritis that occurs within the spinal discs. Also, spondylosis and trauma may cause spinal cord compressions. Generally, the symptoms noticed are tickling and numbness experienced in feet and hands and balance deficiency.
- Microsurgery: Microscopic technology is used in this type of procedure allowing the experienced and qualified surgeons to provide treatment to the brain’s affected areas via small openings. In this case, the treatment area gets magnified. Surgeons these days, make use of advanced technology and modern medical equipment to carry out complex procedures with this surgical procedure. It is also found convenient, less invasive and causes minimum pain to the patient.
- Peripheral nerve surgery: It includes carpel tunnel decompression to treat carpel tunnel syndrome and peripheral nerve transposition. Several nerve entrapment conditions are also treated with this neurosurgical branch. Epilepsy, functional and stereotactic neurosurgery are few of the crucial parts of neurosurgery. Besides the above specialized branches, neurosurgery also offers different types of surgical procedures to diagnose and treat neurosurgical conditions. Modern alternatives are found these days which are preferred to be used by the surgeons as they are proven to be more effective and less invasive. Conventional procedures require the patient to undergo open surgery where the brain is accessed by the surgeons by opening up the skull. The latest procedures introduced allow the specialists to treat neurosurgical conditions surgically through minimal invasions or smaller openings using endoscopes, microscopes and other methods. Emergencies and traumatic cases are treated with open surgeries.
- Endoscopic neurosurgery: This procedure is used widely to treat cerebrospinal fluid leakage, pituitary tumours, colloid cysts, hydrocephalus, and other related ailments.
- Neuroradiology: This is cited to be part of the modern neurosurgical options available and tends to play a mammoth role to diagnose and treat different types of neurological conditions. Few neuroradiology techniques used are:
- CT scan known as Computer assisted imaging
- MRI known as Magnetic resonance imaging
- PET known as Positron emission tomography
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- MEG known as Magnetoencephalography
There have emerged numerous modern procedures, equipment and techniques, thus making neurological surgical procedure to be more advanced. The best neurosurgeon in india are now better equipped to offer patients suffering from various types of neurological issues to receive proper diagnosis, treatment and timely medical care, thereby helping them to recover quickly from the ailment suffered.